24 February 2011

Philosophy.

I have just come to the conclusion (after studying for a philosophy exam for 3 hours...I feel no more enlightened than I did before I began that little adventure...) that I really dislike philosophy, the kind that has to do with Plato and Aristotle.  I find them very dense to read, and I just plain don't understand it.  SparkNotes helps to decipher the jargon that is difficult to get through, but to me, it is just plain foreign.

On the other hand, though, it poses a lot of interesting questions...like why are we here and what purpose do we serve and where do we go from here?  I do not have an answer for you.  But I can share a few things I have learned, especially as of late.  I have some of my own personal anecdotes, which I guess I will tell you a little bit about tonight:

In a nutshell, I think that life is too short to be pissed off about insignificant things, even though I tend to get mad/upset/frustrated more easily than a lot.  Recently, my life has taken a few unexpected turns.  First, I did not expect to be at Marquette as a sophomore in college.  I was positive I would be at my home in Colorado enjoying the "Rocky Mountain High" that Boulder gives you.  Yes, I wanted to be a Lady Buff since I could say "Lady Buff".  Although I sometimes wish my life would have taken that path, I know that everything happens for a reason.  I did not expect to start playing soccer again...and I certainly did not expect to suffer a pretty devastating injury--an ACL tear that has thrown my whole life into a tizzy.  Do you have any idea how difficult it is to crutch it around campus and drag your leg behind you?  I didn't either until this happened.  But you know what?  It's all okay.  The biggest I get into philosophy is that I know God will take care of me.  Yeah, yeah, yeah.  I know God is a touchy topic, but He is an important part of my life.  Aristotle and Plato didn't teach me that, that's for certain.

So my take on the whole philosophy thing, what gets me through the day?  Be yourself, be happy, stand up for yourself, trust in God and you can never go wrong.

Another reminder, keep reading Matty's blog.  His perspective is not like mine at all, but he will ALWAYS challenge you to think, and thinking is incredibly valuable these days.  He is awesome, and you won't be disappointed, I promise.  http://wholedamnstreet.blogspot.com.

Until tomorrow...

No comments:

Post a Comment