22 February 2011

Spitfire.

There are so many thoughts in my head right now, it's hard to pick just one thing to write about.

Today, I was talking with one of my best friends, Matt, and he was telling me how he liked how I was just a down-to-business kinda girl.  He called me a "badass little spitfire".  Now, before you think "what the heck, that doesn't sound like a compliment...," allow me to explain.  Matt has known me since 8th grade and he is one of the only people I know that will be brutally honest with me and tell me when I am screwing up.  You have to appreciate someone like that, and having someone like that in your life actually turns out to be an invaluable tool, especially when you're screwing up, which turns out to be pretty darn often at this juncture in life.  As I got to thinking about the meaning of this "badass little spitfire" thing, I started to list off the reasons he might think this about me.  Ultimately, I decided that this little endearing nickname encompasses a lot of what I pride myself on being: passionate, down-to-earth, realistic, honest, and pragmatic.  Maybe, hopefully, that's what other people see in me, too. I am very much into the idea that girls can do anything guys can do, and maybe that's where he is getting the badass part from.  I don't really know.  I guess we'll have to ask him at some point.

At the end of the day, though, it's nice to know you have a friend who will inadvertently make your day.  It's strange how one thing someone says can kind of change your perspective on things, especially if it is clouded, like mine has been as of late.  Badass little spitfire is now the welcome banner on my phone--and a constant reminder of who I pride myself on being and even more so, who I am on my way to becoming.

No comments:

Post a Comment